The U.S. State Department is the entity responsible for providing travel information for U.S. citizens and issuing passports. Non-U.S. citizens can also refer to their country’s equivalent group.

Obtaining a U.S. Passport:

Need an overview of how to apply for a passport? Start here!

Renewing a U.S. Passport:

You can renew by mail using if your most recent passport meets all five of these requirements:

  1. Is submitted with your application

  2. Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")

  3. Was issued when you were age 16 or older

  4. Was issued within the last 15 years

  5. Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must Apply in Person.

Get more information about renewing your passport and start the process here.

Children Under 16:

All children require a passport to travel internationally, regardless of age. All passport applicants under 16 must apply in person Please note: Passports for children under 16 are only valid for 5 years.

U.S. Passport Cards vs. Books:

U.S. Passport Cards are valid for entering the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry only from:

  • Canada

  • Mexico

  • The Caribbean

  • Bermuda

The passport card cannot be used for international air travel.

A valid U.S. Passport Book is REQUIRED for all passengers traveling via plane.

Get a Passport in a Hurry:

There are several options for expediting your passport application or renewal. Visit the State Department’s website to review the options that fit your situation.

More questions? Check out the U.S. State Department’s Passport FAQs.